CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   LT-1 freshen-up (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=55721)

John Nechiporchik 11-18-2014 01:52 PM

LT-1 freshen-up

Planning on a ring freshen up on my LT-1 shortblock this winter. I do not intend to replace pistons, so I am looking for advice on rings/honing process. The motor has Lunati L350 pistons with 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring grooves.
I would like to consider a range of options and pros/cons for each.
I reviewed a lot of the old threads on here, just looking for latest thinking.
Total Seal recommended AP gapless top, Napier second, low tension oil.
Saw good/bad input on gapless.
Interested to hear input. This is not a high dollar deal. I am willing to spend a few bucks, but I don't want to break the bank. I also realize you get what you pay for.
Thanks for advise/input.
I have access to a couple great shops to perform the honing properly.
Thanks,
John

Mike Pearson 11-18-2014 03:19 PM

Re: LT-1 freshen-up

Stay away from the gapless rings. They caused me to freshen my engine after one run. Total Seal could not tell me why the rings failed after just one pass. Other than that Total Seal should be able to steer you in the right direction. I have had good luck with their more standard ring packages. Make sure that you have a good machine shop that is experienced with racing engines hone the block and has a honing plate for your block

Larry Hill 11-18-2014 03:24 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with Greg Luneack at Tri City Competition.

jmcarter 11-18-2014 03:33 PM

If you're at location shown on your profile I'd just jump on I-75 South to Dayton and give Bruce Parsons your stuff....A1 job. Agree with Mike on the Gapless but each engine builder has their own unique take on a ring package and it could very well be influenced by your current pistons if you're intent on using them.

Tony Goodman 11-18-2014 06:25 PM

Like Larry said, I don't think you can go wrong with Greg Luneack.

richie 2 11-18-2014 06:36 PM

a wet mag test on the crank and rods...hundred dollar investment to be assured of crack free, highly stressed components.

Darcy Clarke 11-19-2014 10:01 AM

X3 on Gregg Luneack's rings as I machined a LT1 for a friend and used Gregg's rings and they work awesome. I am currently machining another one for my Daughter and I am using the same ring package. Give Gregg a call you'll be happy with the price and service.

Darcy Clarke
A/SA SS/JA

John Dinkel 11-19-2014 10:23 AM

Greg is good

John Nechiporchik 11-19-2014 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like a call to Greg is on the agenda.

John

John Nechiporchik 11-19-2014 05:02 PM

Spoke with Greg today. He is a wealth of knowledge. Looking forward to doing business with him.

John