CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mark Williams lug nut studs (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=64563)

Greg Gay 12-06-2016 09:48 PM

Mark Williams lug nut studs

Can Mark Williams or Mark Williams style studs (large diameter) be used on Strange axles?

Mark Markow 12-06-2016 10:00 PM

Re: Mark Williams lug nut studs

Greg both strange and mark Williams large studs are 5/8'' fine thread . so as long as your axles are tapped for 5/8'' studs they will interchange.

Hacksaw 12-07-2016 09:43 AM

Be aware of the grip or shank length on the studs. Newer wheels are much thinner. You should not have the wheel riding on the threads and try avoiding multiple spacers.

Greg Gay 12-07-2016 05:28 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I see how it works, now. I was hoping to use axles drilled for half inch studs, but use wheels that have been drilled for the larger studs. Does not appear feasible.

Hacksaw,

So, and I correct that what you are saying is you should have 1 spacer, but not zero or multiple spacers? I have read that the wider area should extend all the way through the wheel. To me, it seems like you would want more surface area pushing against the aluminum wheel (think dual wheel ton job), but I guess that is not how these are designed to work.

Thanks,

Greg

Rsmith38 12-08-2016 09:16 AM

Wondering if it is possible to redrill the axels to 5/8?

James Perrone 12-08-2016 09:39 AM

Buy new axels between shipping and labor its a wash

Jon Sarrett 12-08-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Perrone (Post 521852)
Buy new axels between shipping and labor its a wash

James is 100% correct. I wanted my axles drilled for 5/8" studs and was told by Strange it would be $380 plus return shipping. These are their axles too. The gal told me the bearings would need pressed off and they can't use the old ones and new units would be required. This rear end never had grease in it and I was still told too bad.

Mike Pearson 12-08-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsmith38 (Post 521850)
Wondering if it is possible to redrill the axels to 5/8?

Strange drilled and tapped my axles for $100. I also bought the stud kit from them at the same time. The won't touch them if the have been welded on. Give them a call. Turn around time was real quick too.

T-Bolt Racer 12-08-2016 11:27 AM

Re: 5/8 lug nut studs

Is the size of the tire or HP or combo that requires 5/8 bolts studs?

Greg Hill 12-08-2016 12:24 PM

Larry Hodge can sell you lug nut spacers and nuts so you can use 1/2" studs with wheels that have the larger opening. These spacers fit into the hole in the wheel and allows you to use the same style nut as you would on a 5/8" stud. Or you can buy lug nuts with shanks that go into the wheel opening. I had Larry's kits on my car for years.