CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NHRA & ESPN must HATE sportsmen. (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=26986)

aspen7709 07-11-2010 11:26 PM

NHRA & ESPN must HATE sportsmen.

I did somthing I dont normally do on the weekend. I tried to choke down a ESPN broadcast of dragracing. I told myself not to do it but the "trainwreck" watcher in me prevailed.
After watching the meaningless drivle they call interviews and a couple of commercials they finally show a peddle fest first round match up 4 times over (okay we got it the first time). Instead of this CRAP they could show tidbits of sportsman racing and increasing the amount of actual racing.BUT NOOOOOOO they want to show "sounds of the strip" instead!

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!

The piss poor editing, lack of real racing and the "pro wrestling' mentality of NHRA on tv has once again confirmed that NHRA & ESPN HATE sportsman racing. WHY? Maybe because we are more interesting and they know it but dont want to let people know that.
Okay i have vented but seriously is there someone out there who can set us up with a good tv producer and get us our own show?

Does anyone else agree with me or am i just a ranting fool who believes we have marketing value?

Lawnmower racing gets better coverage than we do...

Dinsdale 07-12-2010 02:21 AM

Re: NHRA & ESPN must HATE sportsmen.

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE

Lawnmower racing gets better coverage than we do...[/QUOTE]

I love lawnmower racing... Where can I find it on TV??

doublet 07-12-2010 03:50 AM

NHRA broadcasts are tiresome in the ways that you mention, but sportsman racing, while fun to watch live, is not something meant for TV, IMO. They appear to be crawling down the strip. If they were a viable TV product, I think they would have been telecast by now.

No disrespect to any of you sportsman. I can watch you all day live, but not on TV.

Bob Don 07-12-2010 06:42 AM

I hate to admit it, but Pinks and Passtime have made sportsman type cars a viable TV product. For whatever reason, they are just shunned by the ESPN coverage. I don't get it! There is so much down time and crap during ESPN race coverage that you could fit in the semis on in for all the eliminators and still not miss a beat on pro coverage. If memory serves, I believe the old Diamond P telecasts had the finals in all the eliminators.

X-TECH MAN 07-12-2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspen7709 (Post 197610)
I did somthing I dont normally do on the weekend. I tried to choke down a ESPN broadcast of dragracing. I told myself not to do it but the "trainwreck" watcher in me prevailed.
After watching the meaningless drivle they call interviews and a couple of commercials they finally show a peddle fest first round match up 4 times over (okay we got it the first time). Instead of this CRAP they could show tidbits of sportsman racing and increasing the amount of actual racing.BUT NOOOOOOO they want to show "sounds of the strip" instead!

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!

The piss poor editing, lack of real racing and the "pro wrestling' mentality of NHRA on tv has once again confirmed that NHRA & ESPN HATE sportsman racing. WHY? Maybe because we are more interesting and they know it but dont want to let people know that.
Okay i have vented but seriously is there someone out there who can set us up with a good tv producer and get us our own show?

Does anyone else agree with me or am i just a ranting fool who believes we have marketing value?

Lawnmower racing gets better coverage than we do...

THIS is one of the best posts I have read on this forum in quite awhile. It should be sent straight to NHRA AND to ESPN.

Ed Wright 07-12-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Don (Post 197640)
I hate to admit it, but Pinks and Passtime have made sportsman type cars a viable TV product. For whatever reason, they are just shunned by the ESPN coverage. I don't get it! There is so much down time and crap during ESPN race coverage that you could fit in the semis on in for all the eliminators and still not miss a beat on pro coverage. If memory serves, I believe the old Diamond P telecasts had the finals in all the eliminators.

Ten second cars don't look as slow on pinks because you didn't see a four second car just run. Class racing was a better show when we ran off of records so everybody was not playing games at the finish line. Nobody wants to watch that. We are just filler, and we need to get over it or find something else to do. Thirty years ago the stands didn't empty when we came up to run the way they do now. We are now, with the bogus soft indexes, not a lot better to watch that the throttle stop bracket cars.

Michael Beard 07-12-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublet (Post 197623)
NHRA broadcasts are tiresome in the ways that you mention, but sportsman racing, while fun to watch live, is not something meant for TV, IMO. They appear to be crawling down the strip. If they were a viable TV product, I think they would have been telecast by now.

No disrespect to any of you sportsman. I can watch you all day live, but not on TV.

Try Larry Pfister's Horsepower Heaven videos, of "Four Days in May" fame. This guy can do the filming (with a single camera), narration, and editing all by himself and create an entertaining package. www.horsepowerheaven.com He's got some trailers on youtube, too. Sanctioning bodies and TV producers could learn a LOT from this guy about presentation.

Watched a little drag boat racing on TV last week, and it was pretty decent.

Alan Roehrich 07-12-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Beard (Post 197654)
Try Larry Pfister's Horsepower Heaven videos, of "Four Days in May" fame. This guy can do the filming (with a single camera), narration, and editing all by himself and create an entertaining package. www.horsepowerheaven.com He's got some trailers on youtube, too. Sanctioning bodies and TV producers could learn a LOT from this guy about presentation.

Watched a little drag boat racing on TV last week, and it was pretty decent.

No kidding. Sportsman racing, especially class racing, can be promoted and filmed to look as good as it can be.

joe176 07-12-2010 08:11 AM

We need Rich Christensen to make it happen....he did it with Pinks and Passtime. Why not have it on the Speed channel ?

63corvette 07-12-2010 08:33 AM

What is missing on the shows is due to the people in high places and those doing the edits know nothing about drag racing, just promotion.
Its all about promotion and selling it to the public.
They just do the same thing as the wrestling people do, its all about the show.
If you note Pinks never shows the scoreboards with times and MPH. They show the start of the race and the finish line with very little in the middle. Not the whole 11 or 12 second run in most cases. That is called creative editing by someone who knows drag racing plus it does not have dead time with no action.
Until someone in charge with the TV coverage actually knows something about drag racing nothing will change.
My 2 Cents
Rick Cates