CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Intake Manifold Thickness? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=36069)

CraigG 09-16-2011 12:12 AM

Intake Manifold Thickness?

Hey Everybody,

What is a minimum thickness of the roof of the runner of an aluminum intake from china?

Both in small areas and most of the runner?

Thanks Again, Craig

Jeff Lee 09-16-2011 03:04 AM

Re: Intake Manifold Thickness?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigG (Post 283026)
Hey Everybody,

What is a minimum thickness of the roof of the runner of an aluminum intake from china?

Both in small areas and most of the runner?

Thanks Again, Craig

Your kidding, right? I've seen some of these intakes at the local speed shop. Let's just say they look great in the pictures but up front you will find HUGE differences in casting quality.
Why would you buy a copy of a quality American product? They steal our ideas and sell them cheap thanks to their slave labor. :mad:

Terry Cain 09-16-2011 08:21 AM

Got a friend who runs a business restoring 67 Corvettes. 67's only.
He takes small block cars and does a retro to the 427/435 hp cars. Well, the 435 cars have a tri-power setup on them. He tried a Chinese made intake because the oem intakes are hard to find and very expensive. It took four Chinese intakes and going back through the motor because of a bad intake before he came across a good. JUNK nothing but JUNK.

MEXJOE 09-16-2011 10:08 AM

This is the kind of thing that is KILLING this country!

All the darn junk, knock-off, china, crap, imports should have a 30% tariff tax on them in the first place.

They should also be charged $100,000 additional unloading fee/or (tax) (per container) at the dock when the ship shows up at the dock JUST TO UNLOAD!
(CHINA IS OUR ENEMY! not our friend!)

After all...the US government doesn't mind charging you and I, A LITTLE BIT extra every now and again.

That might be one thing to get our country back on track.
At least it couldn't hurt.

WAKE UP !!!

BUY AMERICAN WHEN YOU CAN!!!

Glen DeMENGE

OK I'm done venting now...:)

BTW If you need to ask if the intake is thick enough.......it isn't!!;)

CraigG 09-16-2011 01:44 PM

Hey Everybody,

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU ABOUT THE CHINA SLAVE LABOR issues - USA PRODUCTS!!!

I am an old bracket racer - had some very tough times for about 13 years. I have been out of racing for about 20 years.

I race Pontiac motors and had a ONE OFF dominator carb manifold built that would be low enough for the filter to fit under the hood. More like a stock eliminator / fast class looking car - '72 GTO.

I was very disappointed that the builder / porter chose a china product (Hurricane Professional Products with a "1 spacer) - I was hoping that it would be an older HSD - USA made. I still think very highly of and recommend him often.

Matching the intake properly meant that the correct radius and entry to the head made a certain place in the top of the casting very thin. After the fact - I am trying to get the top of the runners built up - welded in one certain spot on the top of each runner about "1 wide.

I do realize that I am not the typical racer on this board with regards to Money and Tme, I just know that you guys have a great wealth of knowledge and experience with building, modifying and pushing the limits of materials.

I appreciate your willingness to help and would look forward to meeting some of you in the future - perhaps at some NHRA event.

Thanks Again, Craig

X-TECH MAN 09-16-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Cain (Post 283042)
Got a friend who runs a business restoring 67 Corvettes. 67's only.
He takes small block cars and does a retro to the 427/435 hp cars. Well, the 435 cars have a tri-power setup on them. He tried a Chinese made intake because the oem intakes are hard to find and very expensive. It took four Chinese intakes and going back through the motor because of a bad intake before he came across a good. JUNK nothing but JUNK.

I hope he dosent try to pass them off as real 435 HP Vettes. There are already around 500+ more 435 HP cars than Chevrolet ever made floating around. .

Chad Rhodes 09-16-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN (Post 283096)
I hope he dosent try to pass them off as real 435 HP Vettes. There are already around 500+ more 435 HP cars than Chevrolet ever made floating around. .

i know where one real 68 435 is

Terry Cain 09-16-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN (Post 283096)

Terry,
He's selling them as Clones. Tells all buyers they are "Clones" of a 67 435 car. Show car quality cars. He does 8-10 a year.

novassdude 09-16-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEXJOE (Post 283056)
This is the kind of thing that is KILLING this country!

All the darn junk, knock-off, china, crap, imports should have a 30% tariff tax on them in the first place.

They should also be charged $100,000 additional unloading fee/or (tax) (per container) at the dock when the ship shows up at the dock JUST TO UNLOAD!
(CHINA IS OUR ENEMY! not our friend!)

After all...the US government doesn't mind charging you and I, A LITTLE BIT extra every now and again.

WAKE UP !!!

BUY AMERICAN WHEN YOU CAN!!!

Glen DeMENGE

OK I'm done venting now...:)

BTW If you need to ask if the intake is thick enough.......it isn't!!;)

Your dead on Glenn. I always say if you drive oversees crap you have no right to bitch about our economy.

69Cobra 09-17-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexjoe (Post 283056)
this is the kind of thing that is killing this country!

They should also be charged $100,000 additional unloading fee/or (tax) (per container) at the dock when the ship shows up at the dock just to unload!
(china is our enemy! Not our friend!)

after all...the us government doesn't mind charging you and i, a little bit extra every now and again.

Wake up !!!

Buy american when you can!!!

Glen demenge

ok i'm done venting now...:)

btw if you need to ask if the intake is thick enough.......it isn't!!;)

x2!!