CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   unreal (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=37234)

Andys dad 11-15-2011 11:36 PM

unreal

Rumor (re-posted from FaceBook PSCA)- Heard some interesting news today on the "Sheik", from a couple of reliable sources. Kinda funny,.... in that it apparently turns out the "young Sheik",... acquired a bit of a drug habit here lately. Alan Johnson and Frank Manzo, (his Alcohol Funny Car driver) checked him into "Promises" a few weeks ago, and yes,....it's the same place Charlie Sheen went to dry out. Turns out "daddy Sheik" has had all the fun he has needed, and made his son cancel any and all racing activities,.....effective immediately. All of the Qatar cars are effectively done, and everyone that is employed,... is now UN-employed.

Not good for drag racing

Couple it with Kenny retiring and CoPart going away

WOW

Lew Silverman 11-16-2011 12:04 AM

Re: unreal

There was also a rumor that Del Worsham was leaving Al-anabi to be a Crew Chief for another team, this was before the recent revelations you mentioned. Of course this was also before he won the TF championship, so you have to wonder how conflicted he must be!

Silly Season, indeed!:eek:

Lew

Andys dad 11-16-2011 12:07 AM

I worry about the viability of NHRA not just my own personal class

HP on the new cars seems to pale in significance

:-) peace

BTW - confirmed the Al-Anabi and Qutar cars are gone but not sure about the drug crap

SSDA Hemi 11-16-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andys dad (Post 293783)
I worry about the viability of NHRA not just my own personal class

Maybe now NHRA will look at the big picture and give a little more attention to the sportsman racer?

Naaaah! Who am I kidding...

larrylomascolo 11-16-2011 07:37 AM

remember all the torco sponsored cars when E.knoll went sideways,big effect on alot of racers,,,,sounds like AL-Anabi will leave a big void also

69Cobra 11-16-2011 07:56 AM

I find it hard to believe that a professional team such as AJR wouldn't have a contract a year or two out to avoid a surprise like this.:confused:

chris3racing 11-16-2011 08:58 AM

The money this guy has a contract buy out would be like going to McDonalds. This will be a big impact. He was involved in so many part of the sport.

jmcarter 11-16-2011 09:11 AM

Bernstein has some duplicity in this by making fuel cars so expensive to run. His push for big $ sponsors isn't sustainable. Even NASCAR with its far broader base and non industry sponsors is struggling to keep the teams healthy. If they had adapted Big's recommendations years ago it would be a far healthier sport, all 1320 feet of it.

X-TECH MAN 11-16-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcarter (Post 293816)
Bernstein has some duplicity in this by making fuel cars so expensive to run. His push for big $ sponsors isn't sustainable. Even NASCAR with its far broader base and non industry sponsors is struggling to keep the teams healthy. If they had adapted Big's recommendations years ago it would be a far healthier sport, all 1320 feet of it.

X's 2 on what you said about Big Daddy.

Casey Miles 11-16-2011 09:55 AM

If anyone doesn't know, Don Garlets petitioned for one engine block per race to keep costs down. This way, you couldn't step on the engines as hard as they do now because you had to protect the block against catastrophic failure. If you did lose the block, you would watch the other racers for the day.
Bernstien got his way though and the rest is history, 6 or more engines in backup and huge amounts of money to run T/F and F/C.

Casey Miles
248H Stock?