CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Transmission catch can placement (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=40522)

40Coupe 04-30-2012 08:37 PM

Transmission catch can placement

What type are you using and where are you mounting it in a door car. I'm struggling with an inconspicuous clean looking place to mount it and also a place that won't potentially put fluid in front of the tires if happened to overflow.

1320racer 04-30-2012 08:43 PM

Re: Transmission catch can placement

Never used/needed one.

If you're puking fluid, you're got a problem that needs to be fixed not catched.

KRatcliff 04-30-2012 08:48 PM

If you are not puking or leaking fluid out of a racing transmission just means you haven't put any in yet.

40Coupe 04-30-2012 08:57 PM

It's not currently puking and never has. The vent under the shield has been plugged and a new vent tapped in the rear portion of the case. That's a much lower place on the trans and it has been recommended to me to put a catch can on it. This is a new setup and I don't want to put fluid down and learn the hard way. Just being proactive.

KRatcliff 04-30-2012 09:00 PM

I put mine on the firewall on the passenger side. Any fluid that might make it up there drains back slowly.

1320racer 04-30-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40Coupe (Post 324155)
The vent under the shield has been plugged and a new vent tapped in the rear portion of the case.

Why? My vent remains in the stock location and it too is under the shield as it has been since I first starting using a shield 13 years and thousands of passes ago, all without puking a drop.

Do as you wish with your car, might want to install a parachute too.:D

40Coupe 04-30-2012 09:33 PM

That's a mystery and I don't have any clues but am doing what has been recommended since the vent is in that location.

1320racer 04-30-2012 09:37 PM

be careful of who you listen to, there's no reason to be plugging the stock vent and relocating it on your trans!

Ken Miele 04-30-2012 09:59 PM

40Coupe,

I use one on my stocker. I run line from the factory vent to the trunk. I can access it easy and it has a long line to drain back. I have never had and issues with my C6, but the C4 always left a little in the can when hot lapping.

You can run a line tight to the tunnel and back into the trunk for a clean look. I use a polished aluminum can with a breather, looks nice and its out of the way.

40Coupe 04-30-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320racer (Post 324160)
Do as you wish with your car, might want to install a parachute too.:D

That would be a good problem to have. That would mean I tripped 150 MPH in the 1/4, a really good problem. LOL