CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   two step for starting line and burnout (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=49313)

D. Hake 4459 09-10-2013 08:13 PM

two step for starting line and burnout

This is my first year in stock eliminator and I'm trying to be competitive so I'm putting an adjustable brake pressure switch on. The way I read the rules a 3 step is not allowed so I'll have to use a 2 step. I have both available. The first stage of the 2 step I can use for the starting line rpm. Is there a way to use the second stage for the burnout rpm? Maybe connect the burnout chip with wires to the 2 step and use a switch to disconnect it before I leave. Thanks

art leong 09-10-2013 08:22 PM

Re: two step for starting line and burnout

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Hake 4459 (Post 399354)
This is my first year in stock eliminator and I'm trying to be competitive so I'm putting an adjustable brake pressure switch on. The way I read the rules a 3 step is not allowed so I'll have to use a 2 step. I have both available. The first stage of the 2 step I can use for the starting line rpm. Is there a way to use the second stage for the burnout rpm? Maybe connect the burnout chip with wires to the 2 step and use a switch to disconnect it before I leave. Thanks

You should be able to control you rpms in the burnout with your foot. The 2 step is bad news on the burnouts. And you don't want to be on it any longer than needed at the starting line.

Jeff Lee 09-10-2013 09:02 PM

You can buy a 3-step from MSD. I always ran one and as far as I know, never had a problem. At least not the bottom end. For all I know it didn't help with the OEM stamped steel rocker arms. I do a 3rd gear burnout (4-speed) at around 6400 RPM after dumping the clutch at a little higher RPM. Very little "miss" noticed. The reason I ran the 3-step was for consistent tire temp. Same burnout, same RPM every time. I had a separate switch for burnout RPM.

joespanova 09-10-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art leong (Post 399357)
You should be able to control you rpms in the burnout with your foot. The 2 step is bad news on the burnouts. And you don't want to be on it any longer than needed at the starting line.

This.
As far as tire temp and 2 / 3 steps........I thought thats what a tach is for.

D. Hake 4459 09-10-2013 09:52 PM

My burnout rpm is barely higher than converter flash. I start the burnout in 2nd gear, bump the limiter, put in high, bump the limiter, then hold it just under that for a couple seconds and drive out of the water. My piston to valve clearance is pretty tight so I don't want rev it too high in the water and hurt it. Is a 3 step legal in stock eliminator? I have a 2 step and a 3 step already.

1347 09-10-2013 10:40 PM

David Reher wrote an article in Dragster on two steps and burnouts, he talks about taking identical engines apart from those who use them and those don't, and finding bearing wear due to constant harmonics at one speed caused by a two step in a burnout under a load. I found it very informative, it would be nice to find the article again.

Duane

SStockDart 09-10-2013 11:11 PM

I find the comment by David Reher interesting, and it makes sense. I believe that however you do the burn out.... do it the same every time. That way, if you don't hook, you will have better information to make an adjustment....."did I do too much or too little of a burn out."
I have tried everything at one time or another. I do not use a two step for a burn out. I find that it only confuses me in my starting line process.......Separate button for line lock and trans brake.....set the front line lock, then shift.....too complicated for an old guy like me. I have my wife align our car just on the forward edge of the water, therefore, I know that water has covered the entire tire. I foot brake it in second and soon as it starts to spin, I shift to third....I count 2 seconds (same as I count the tree) then I lift.....I use Mickey thompsons and they don't seem to need as much burnout as others....plus, they last longer.
It kills me to see someone stop in the middle of the water to start their burnout.....then sit there spinning and slinging water into their fender wells....................only to have it drip on the tires later. That doesn't make any sense to me, but did I say I am getting old (I can't remember lol), and getting another year older tomorrow......oh crap

D. Hake 4459 09-10-2013 11:41 PM

Thanks for all the input. When I do my burnout as soon as I hit the limiter in 2nd I shift to high then as soon as I hit the limiter in high I back off just a little to keep it off the limiter count to 2 and let off the line lock button. Limiter is set for 5400 and converter flash is about 5100 so I try to keep it above 5100. I also have someone spot me at the edge of the water. People that do a burnout in the puddle really mess it up for the next person in line. I've been bit by that a few times.

John Duzac 09-11-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lee (Post 399367)
You can buy a 3-step from MSD. I always ran one and as far as I know, never had a problem. At least not the bottom end. For all I know it didn't help with the OEM stamped steel rocker arms. I do a 3rd gear burnout (4-speed) at around 6400 RPM after dumping the clutch at a little higher RPM. Very little "miss" noticed. The reason I ran the 3-step was for consistent tire temp. Same burnout, same RPM every time. I had a separate switch for burnout RPM.

Didn't they outlaw the 3 step in stock? If a 3 step is legal for stock, I will reinstall mine.

1320racer 09-11-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Hake 4459 (Post 399377)
My burnout rpm is barely higher than converter flash. I start the burnout in 2nd gear, bump the limiter, put in high, bump the limiter, then hold it just under that for a couple seconds and drive out of the water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by art leong (Post 399357)

This^^^
Sounds like your burnout is way too long. Been doing 4-5 second burnouts, shorter on hot days, for over 22 years in a 3 speed footbrake car without a 2 or 3 step. Don't make it harder than it needs to be as has everyone of my competitors in NHRA Division 1 competing in the Summit ET Series.