CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Intermittent no start condition (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=49404)

John Nechiporchik 09-16-2013 08:52 AM

Intermittent no start condition

I have an intermittent no start condition on my 98 Pontiac Stocker, 350 with Accell Calmap ECU. Randomly, the car will crank but not start. It might start 10 times in a row then the 11th. time ....crank, no start. Let it sit for a few minutes(5-10)...and it fires right up.
Recently, had a battery go bad....replaced it. The only other change was to the fuel. At Martin, had to switch to Sunoco as VP was not available.
Because it is intermittent, I have not been able to determine if this condition is fuel or ignition related. It has an MSD Digital 7.
Happened yesterday in the staging lanes at a test /tune.....waited about 5 minutes and it fired right up.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Thanks.

Dave Noll 09-16-2013 12:33 PM

Re: Intermittent no start condition

countrypuppy4865 09-16-2013 01:52 PM

Get a spark tester to verify that you have fire. If no fire, suspect optispark or ignition module on coil. If fire is present and it won't start, try pouring a little gas into the intake through the throttle body opening. If it starts when pouring gas (not the same gas that you recently changed to), it will be a fuel problem. It could possibly be bad injectors, or it could be fuel contamination. Just a few ideas.

John Nechiporchik 09-16-2013 02:49 PM

Thanks for the ideas. What fails on the optispark? I've seen references to this before as a problem area.

Thanks

Steve Williams 09-16-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nechiporchik (Post 400257)
Thanks for the ideas. What fails on the optispark? I've seen references to this before as a problem area.

Thanks

The optical sensor gets knocked out usually by a foreign substance. Oil, water. A quick continuity check of the harness should be done. Manipulate the wires as you do this. They can and do go bad as well.

John Nechiporchik 09-16-2013 05:45 PM

This thing has an MSD Distributor Cap,coil (HVC2) and crank trigger.

Dave Noll 09-16-2013 05:59 PM

FED 387 09-16-2013 06:26 PM

Try a different coil---this typical of a MSD 8261 coil ---they cannot take a continous start and stop round after round like this without overheating and doing exactly what you are describing--- been there done that--- problem should be solved---FED387

John Nechiporchik 09-16-2013 08:15 PM

Started it tonight....fired right up. Ran for a minute.....shut off.....tried again 5 times over the next 3 hours....no start.
FED....would you recommend another P/N coil or get another 8261?

Also, I recall previously that the fuel regulator seemed to stay near operating pressure for quite some time after the pump/engine was shut down. This regulator (Paxton) is immediately bleeding off instantly after the pump is shut off (engine NOT running) Drops to 15 psi (set at 45) in about 3 minutes.
Wondering if this is the problem?

FED 387 09-16-2013 08:52 PM

try any other coil other than another a MSD 8261 if you are going to run more than a lap every hour or two just to see if that is the problem--- for repeat operation much like stock/super stock/ bracket cars go DO NOT USE the MSD 8261 it will usually do what you are describing---an MSD 8251 will not cause the symptoms you are describing---an MSD8261 coil gets so hot internally with repeat operation it breaks down due to the heat--- if you ran the car for a lap then shut it down for a while say 30 +minutes then ran another lap you MIGHT be OK but the MSD 8261 coil is not designed for lap after lap