CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Crankcase balance tube? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=61902)

joespanova 04-17-2016 08:03 PM

Crankcase balance tube?

OK
So I pick up my block from getting line honed and the old guy says "don't forget to add a balance tube at that fuel pump block off".
I'm not going to argue with him because he likes himself too much and gets very "pissy" if you dont agree with him.
My Dart Little M ( Chevy ) has openings in the lifter galley that , clearly , vent / balance the crankcase as it is. What exactly is his point?
My vac pump pulls off a valve cover , the heads have very generous openings into the lifter galley ( Brodix ).
Someone please inform me as to what in the heck adding a "balance tube " from the block off plate the the other valve cover will accomplish?

I'm betting nothing.......what say you?

carl hinkson 04-19-2016 07:09 AM

Re: Crankcase balance tube?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joespanova (Post 501029)
OK
So I pick up my block from getting line honed and the old guy says "don't forget to add a balance tube at that fuel pump block off".
I'm not going to argue with him because he likes himself too much and gets very "pissy" if you dont agree with him.
My Dart Little M ( Chevy ) has openings in the lifter galley that , clearly , vent / balance the crankcase as it is. What exactly is his point?
My vac pump pulls off a valve cover , the heads have very generous openings into the lifter galley ( Brodix ).
Someone please inform me as to what in the heck adding a "balance tube " from the block off plate the the other valve cover will accomplish?

I'm betting nothing.......what say you?

I would think nothing

Mike Taylor 3601 04-19-2016 02:05 PM

I never remember ever seeing or hearing of that.
Mike Taylor 3601

Barnstorm 04-19-2016 02:22 PM

We've used the block-off plate to connect Mopar pan evac systems rather than the valve covers. Bottom of the race car stays cleaner!

Kenny Wigington 04-19-2016 08:32 PM

I've seen it a few times, but haven't done it myself.

dmir55 04-19-2016 09:23 PM

Why not just ask him what he means. Don't question him just ask why. You never can tell he might like it when someone asks questions. I know I do. In that Engine Masters article on Wade Owens 66 Chevlle, they showed "balance holes" drilled in the webbing of his block. Of course if you find something worthy please share it with us. Good luck and happy motoring.

FED 387 04-19-2016 10:43 PM

Helps oil drain back from top of engine by relieving blow by pressure present in crankcase area which hinders rapid drain back. Also by doing this you can run lighter tension rings and helps promote better ring sealing FED 387

joespanova 04-20-2016 08:38 AM

I was going to let this die...........
I DID ask the question , eventually. His reply was "I just think it balances the crankcase".
My reply was what I already stated above. He sort of agreed and stated it wasn't his idea , he though a / some pump manufactuer also suggest it.
I couldn't find one who did.
In the end I added another vac "pull off" to the opposite valve cover..........as opposed to one side only.
And that , my friends , is the end of it.
Thank you

joespanova 04-20-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FED 387 (Post 501254)
Helps oil drain back from top of engine by relieving blow by pressure present in crankcase area which hinders rapid drain back. Also by doing this you can run lighter tension rings and helps promote better ring sealing FED 387

I AM running lighter tension rings as well as a vac pump.