CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Auto Trans Temp (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=87138)

Adger Smith 04-14-2024 07:07 PM

Auto Trans Temp

What does your Transmission normally run for Temp in Stockers and SS?
What is the highest temp you have seen?
Have you seen Temperature differences in fluid type?
Talking about Stockers and SuperStockers.. PG-350-200- Pro Flite -Tq flite Ford Transmissions.

Dave Noll 04-15-2024 07:42 PM

Re: Auto Trans Temp

My C4 with 8" A1 convertor would run 200° - 250°. Changing from a Type F to a Mercon LV I didn't notice a temp change and maybe 100 - 200 @ most change in flash rpm.

1320racer 04-15-2024 08:35 PM

If you want to see a drop in trans fluid temp, you want to use Allison's Transynd.

Jason Shepard 04-15-2024 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320racer (Post 696136)
If you want to see a drop in trans fluid temp, you want to use Allison's Transynd.

Have you seen any difference in converter flash? How often do you change with this fluid?

1320racer 04-16-2024 08:13 AM

I’ve been using Transynd for nearly 20 years and from day 1 on my Firebird and dragster combos so I can’t report on changes in flash with those combos. However when I went from type F to transynd in my turbo 400 with 8” converter in my footbrake launched Chevelle back in ‘05, the flash did not change but the trans fluid ran much cooler and I was no longer boiling it/shearing it/cooking it.

Billy Nees 04-16-2024 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adger Smith (Post 696083)
What does your Transmission normally run for Temp in Stockers and SS?
What is the highest temp you have seen?
Have you seen Temperature differences in fluid type?
Talking about Stockers and SuperStockers.. PG-350-200- Pro Flite -Tq flite Ford Transmissions.

Adger, in my Stockers I have found that I can't get the trans (PG & 200) hot enough without getting the engine too hot. I normally would like to see at least 200*.
I have also found that Dexron will give me more converter flash than type F and I have never had any luck at all with synthetic fluid. Now in a Big-Block or a Hemi combo maybe but not with my lower powered stuff.

Doug Hoven 04-16-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Shepard (Post 696145)
Have you seen any difference in converter flash? How often do you change with this fluid?

I've run both Transynd and Dexron-III in my stuff. Running it in the PG with the 6 cylinder, the Transynd took longer to gain temp, but held the temp longer after shutting the car down. The dexron-III gained temp faster, but cooled down faster as well (No trans cooler mind due). As far as converter flash, it was maybe 100 rpm higher with the dex-III at most. E.T wise, the car preferred the dex-III by .02-.03. In a v8 car I would think there would be less difference. I've been more keen to running non-synthetic trans fluid. Whether it makes a difference or not, it depends who you ask.

Mike Pearson 04-16-2024 12:14 PM

I have never had a transmission temp gauge and have never ran any kind of cooler. I have never had any heat related issues with my transmissions. The glide has well over 500 passes and looked like new when I took it apart the last time. Now running a 350.