CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What is the best bang for my buck? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=87196)

pjfouts 04-24-2024 10:12 AM

What is the best bang for my buck?

Hey all,

I have a 66 Chevelle Malibu with a 283 SBC, powerglide, and 12 bolt. I’m trying to decide what makes the most sense to upgrade to go faster. I’m
Not trying to set the world on fire, just trying to pick up 2 tenths or so. Below is what I have that I know of and wanted to get some thoughts here from people who have seen increased speed in their combos.

I went 11.80 this past weekend for reference at 800’ but 15mph head wind

Engine
283 SBC
520 cast number heads (brand new not sure who machined them)
Scorpion rocker arms 1.6/1.7
Comp cam push rods 8.000 .080
Bullet cam
Crower lifters
Dart block

Carb
4GC completely redone by DeanO

Transmission
Power glide
2.18 low gear
A1 7” converter

Rear end
12 bolt
5.86 gear (I think!)

Other items
Drum brakes
#3465 with me in it

jmcarter 04-24-2024 11:56 AM

Re: What is the best bang for my buck?

I’d attack weight, chiefly the brakes. TBM brakes can take weight off and decrease rolling resistance.

MR DERBY CITY 04-24-2024 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjfouts (Post 696475)
Hey all,

I have a 66 Chevelle Malibu with a 283 SBC, powerglide, and 12 bolt. I’m trying to decide what makes the most sense to upgrade to go faster. I’m
Not trying to set the world on fire, just trying to pick up 2 tenths or so. Below is what I have that I know of and wanted to get some thoughts here from people who have seen increased speed in their combos.

I went 11.80 this past weekend for reference at 800’ but 15mph head wind

Engine
283 SBC
520 cast number heads (brand new not sure who machined them)
Scorpion rocker arms 1.6/1.7
Comp cam push rods 8.000 .080
Bullet cam
Crower lifters
Dart block

Carb
4GC completely redone by DeanO

Transmission
Power glide
2.18 low gear
A1 7” converter

Rear end
12 bolt
5.86 gear (I think!)

Other items
Drum brakes
#3465 with me in it

That’s an easy one, swap the glide for a 3 speed …that will get you your first TENTH….

Alan Roehrich 04-24-2024 10:10 PM

M.J. is correct. A 200 Metric.

If this is a stocker, I didn't know high ratio rockers were legal.....

Not knowing who did what to the heads, it's hard to say what potential is there.....

pjfouts 04-25-2024 03:34 PM

I should have prefaced. This is a SS/NA car.

I’ve heard 3 speed which was an obvious choice in my head however I’m not sure which direction of 3 speed to go these days. I had a pro trans in my sunfire and that was fast but it needed replacement parts every 30-40 runs it felt like. I’d love to get a turbo350 with a trans brake that would be sturdy enough for when I move classes next year into FGT.

Thanks for all the insight CR!

Alan Roehrich 04-25-2024 10:15 PM

Whether or not you need a 350 depends on what you intend to do later. Usually, a foot brake is faster than a trans brake. And the three speed trans brakes don't work as well as a PowerGlide brake.

Since you're talking about Super Stock, it makes a big difference who did the heads.

James Hensler 04-26-2024 07:03 AM

Best BANG for the buck is a SS Hemi! When they go BOOM they make a big BANG! Lol

Alan Roehrich 04-26-2024 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hensler (Post 696591)
Best BANG for the buck is a SS Hemi! When they go BOOM they make a big BANG! Lol

Along with your bank account and your retirement fund?

jerry witzel 04-27-2024 12:36 PM

PJ, Don't overlook the chassis. The biggest gains in e.t. i made with my 283 LA Nova was when i aligned the front end, making major adjustments to caster and camber and having the rear end housing straightened and made sure it was perfectly aligned in the car.

Larry Hill 04-27-2024 07:34 PM

A paper bag!