View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 941 Times in 260 Posts
Default Re: Factory experimental

Well... according to my NHRA Rulebook, the 3rd paragraph states "OEM may apply for inclusion of any special production runs into the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide. Special run must include a minimum of 50 units of an already accepted body style, need NOT be showroom available. Applications evaluated on an individual basis. Acceptance will not imply precedent".
A quick peek at my 2004 Rulebook has the exact paragraph, word for word. Wouldn`t this same situation be how the 66 427 Fairlanes, COPO and Yenko Camaros, "Firehawk" late model Firebirds, the LT1 powered 97-98 Camaro & Firebirds, and possibly some other vehicles that Joe Blow off the street would never have been able to purchase from his local dealership?
As for the percieved domination of these Mustangs, it kinda sounds like many racers complaints when the EFI cars started getting popular. "The aerodynamics, high tech vodoo, better wight balance, etc" was going to ruin it for the "little guy". When the EFI classes were blended with the traditional Stockers, the "fuelies" were gonna eat the older cars for lunch. At the end of the 2008 season, there were more carbed cars in the top 10, and the vast majority of NHRA National records were held by the older cars too. I think a sit & wait approach would be better than panicking. Granted ,it did take NHRA a while to get the LS1`s HP rating within reason, but then Pontiac WAS the "Offical Car of NHRA" at the time, Ford isn`t, so maybe NHRA would be a bit quicker to react if the new Cobra Jet does indeed run away from the pack. As for superchargers in Stock, they were legal in the 57 Fords, and several versions of Studebakers years ago, and Turbos have been allowed for years, so whats the differance? Personally, I think that any forced induction Stocker should be limited to the factory boost pressure, but maybe thats just me. I guess Pomona will tell the story, right?