View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,570 Times in 1,732 Posts
Default Re: Atlanta fan appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
I noticed something this week at Atlanta. There were a lot of fans looking at Jimmy Ronzello's car. And a lot of them were young. I also noted that there were more fans inspecting my "wierd car" than the early style Camaro parked next to me.
I you guys want to make stock and superstock a "notalgia" thing. It's all over but the car crushing.
These younger fans can relate to a new Mustang, or a Challenger, Or believe it or not my "lowly" Neon.
They were even born when those older muscle cars were 10 years old.
And due to the hard but very true fact, that old people are a dying breed. nhra better push the newer cars. If they have any hope of surviving.
Artie, That last sentence says it all.
The imports and FWD's turn in force everytime Speedworld opens the gates for a T&T night, same as everywhere else, I'm sure.

I was just thinking the other night when I was out there, how NHRA's "enhancements " over the years ,have made it virtually impossible for a beginning racer to compete in any kind of structured "class "
racing. Even if the late model FWD's were competitive , just think what it would cost them to try it.Tow vehicles, trailers, $300 entries, 4-5 days off of work, $10 approved gas, $50 numbers and so on.
The average young guy could never afford to get started in class racing, the way we were able to.

There are some here who say about NHRA "what does it matter, another $20 -50 here or there? I can afford it"
Fact is, everytime that happens , they are pricing a few more potential racers out of their program, or forcing out a few more veterans, who've had enough.

If someone could figure out how to get these new guys into some form of structured racing they could afford, he'd have a huge customer base to draw from.....
And please don't suggest the Summit Bracket Racing series. Expecting them to compete against 30 year veteran racers in RWD cars, is not the answer.