View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
Rob Ayres

Liked 31 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Chuck Nelson Passes Away

My memories of Chuck go back to the late 60's when my dad and I were running his stocker. He had known Chuck, Red, and Bill Carlisle for years. They always gave us fits when teching the car cause my old man just couldn't keep from agitating all of them. I'll never forget we were going through tech in Houma, LA around 1969 or 1970. Red and Chuck got the idea that they were going to make all the stockers come through tech with the the headers closed off. Back then stockers had to have the exhaust system with mufflers on the car. We had a crossover pipe between the collectors attached to the exhaust system,with no flanges on the collectors. We put beer cans over the ends of the collectors and tightened them down with hose clamps. We pulled through tech at an idle. When Red saw the beer cans he made the old man rev the motor and both the beer cans shot off the headers and went flying behind the car, almost hitting Chuck. They just frowned, shook their heads, and waved us on through tech.
Last time I saw him was at the Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion about 5 years ago. He was one of the honorees. Quite a guy. He'll be missed.
Rob Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote