View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #352
Terry Drinkwater

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Original Hemi Cuda Info.......

Not trying to knock anyone off subject here, but I would like to share my Hemi Cuda story with you. Back in about 1980 or so my brother and I purchased a Hemi Cuda from Billy "Big Deal" Jacobs in Enterprise, AL. It was maroon and was lettered "Chopper" in faded gold leaf at the time if I remember correctly. It was represented to us at the time as as ex-Sox & Martin car. It was possibly a factory Hemi car as it had the fiberglass front end, lightweight doors with pull-up lexan windows and the lightweight van seats. We didn't really care about that, we were just mopar bracket racers at the time, ('68 Roadrunner) and wanted to move up in the food chain! Back then the whole Hemi car thing was not the huge deal it is today. My bother owned a small business and I was a line mechanic at a GM dealer and the price was right, so we jumped at the chance to campaign a Hemi car in the IHRA combined eliminator classes, which were popular in the southeast at the time. The car was a leaf spring set up with auto trans and ran 6.50's in the eight mile and 9.90's in the quarter with nothing but routine maintenance and fresh tires and plugs.( a lot of plugs!) After a couple of years, money got tight and the car was sold to Frank Barnett who turned it into a 440 wedge Super Gas car. I have no idea what happened to it after that, just wondered if anyone has any info. It was painted white with a red Chrysler pentastar under our names on the doors when we raced it and I think Frank kept it white when he had it. We ran into Warren Barnett a few years ago and in the bench racing that followed, totally forgot to ask him about it. Wish I had known then what I know now and I would have bought my brother's half and put it in storage. Big regret in life right there. Sorry for the long first post, but I could have rambled on even longer!
Thanks,
Terry

Last edited by Terry Drinkwater; 06-01-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Terry Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote