View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #21
Sean Marconette

Liked 167 Times in 61 Posts
Default Re: Onan 7000 Generator problems

Thanks Rich,
I hate throwing parts at things to resolve problems, but I have resorted to it on this problem.

I have questioned the generator battery and had it load tested tonight. It was deemed bad, it was the original 2006 marine battery for the generator. It has not been allowing very many starts and would need recharged. It may have affected the module operation, as a stabile 12 VDC to the generator is needed. I also replaced the Mr Gasket 42s fuel pump that has been on it for 2 years now just to remove it from the equation with the same exact pump.

I ran the unit until it reached normal operating temperature. I then shut it off and let it heat soak the module, and when it would generate code 37. I then manipulated the choke while spaying carb cleaner to keep it running. I monitored the 12 VDC to the carb solenoid and fuel pump, and could never get it to change, always 12.7 VDC while running even with the carb cleaner. This confirms what you suggested, that it is a fuel issue. I removed and cleaned the carb and float bowl. After reinstalling, it restarts and runs easier, but will still code 37 if the choke is wide open when starting while hot. If I manipulate the choke, I can get it to run. After running, I can then allow the choke to go wide open and no issues.

As for the solenoid circuit or pin, I may add an additional gasket/washer to increase the clearance. As I wonder if the expansion from the heat is reducing the fuel volume.

As for the fuel pump/solenoid circuit. Keeping this safery circuit automated would not be that big of a deal. By adding a 120 VAC relay, and the coil energized by the generator when running would close a NO contact. The contact would have the battery 12 VDC + to the line side and the fuel pump/solenoid coil to the load side. The priming circuit would be in parallel. The same operation that is currently used by priming the unit before starting. Once the generator starts and produces 120 VAC the relay would then close and turn on the fuel pump/solenoid coil. When the generator is stopped the 120 VAC relay will be deenergized and the fuel pump/solenoid coil will be disabled.

I will try some of these ideas before reinstalling the genset back in the trailer.

I appreciate your time and help with resolving this issue.

Thank you
Sean

Last edited by Sean Marconette; 08-06-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: More info
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote