View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #39
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Ford vs Chevy Build-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Question for those in the know - Am I going to have any problem getting this car down to 3225 pounds with a mild steel 6-point roll bar installed? It will have the usual Stocker parts removal process.
Rich,

It depends? First you need to weigh the car as it sets, also need a good idea of how much fuel is in the car, this gives you a baseline. Being a convertible and needing a roll bar and sub frame connectors, I'd want to know their weight. That is compensation weight, you will take weight out but putting those in adds weight back, I'm sure you know this. I prefer a track scale or one of the digital setups the circle track guys use.

I like to use a common bathroom scale, weigh everything and record the weights as I take it out. That includes wheels and tires and record the difference. Modern aluminum wheels weigh a bunch. Using stocker thought, there are a lot of unnecessary items in a car. Don't forget the underneath of a car, undercoating sucks but it's weight. Changing from power to manual steering, manual brakes, can get rid of that booster. Then you can work the interior, since it's getting a roll bar, it all has to come out anyway.

Good luck, hopefully I can get my "U" car together and meet you at a track someday.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote