View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #36
Bill Grubbs

Liked 461 Times in 61 Posts
Default Re: Merge collectors

Ed, I know you work more than most people on your combo, you are very innovative, and it shows. I think what is being said is really right up your alley. When you change one thing on a car it affects other areas (Law of Unintended Consequences). For instance if you found 50 hp with a new fuel injection system you may need to work on the chassis/suspension, or even the camshaft to lower the ET or possibly find even more power.

I had a highly, highly respected engine builder tell me, in front of another engine builder, I was stupid for even thinking I knew more than him about headers... the headers he recommended were the best for the combo. Well Calvin's headers were .13 faster than the headers the engine builder recommended, and we did find more. With our small block we went 4 years before we lost a heads up race, and that was totally my fault for taking the competition for granted.

Some who have worked their a$$e$ off refining their combinations with Calvin's headers (as well as others) have found significant HP by keeping all events on the cam the same and only closing the exhaust lobe earlier. Mind you these are people who were already at the top of their game.

When you are already at the top of your game how much money/time would you spend for 15 HP? The exhaust on a Stocker/Super Stocker has not changed much since the classes inception. Yet the engine development has changed radically. Why would you not work on an area most overlook because "it is just a set of pipes."

NASCAR was revolutionized by Calvin's headers. One of NHRA's winningest drivers has used Calvin's headers for numerous wins and speed/ET records. These are teams/engine builders/drivers who are paid to be innovative, or they have no job.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Grubbs; 10-12-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote