View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #80
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

Keep cheering me on guys, it's helping---my old arms hurt real bad from twisting out stuck screws all day!
Where's that Celebrex bottle at??

Not a lot to tell on today's efforts, it was simply doing a bunch of little things to improve on the car that won't readily show up. Spent most of today removing the wheel well chrome trim pieces and the lower mouldings along the rocker panel on the driver side in order to get ready for the flares to mount on. Stuck screws as I fully expected slowed this work to a crawl, but eventually I managed to get one side cleared off. I had hoped to get both sides done today.
I also took a solenoid operated hatch release assembly off the back end of the blue AMX and cleaned it all up so it could work on the red car, which had it's missing. AMC, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that a key/lock assembly to open that hatch might be a bit too much to ask, so they ran wires from the fuse box to the glove compartment switch, then ran two more wires down the entire length and across the back of the car to the solenoid. The original opening push-button is located inside the glove box, but I plan on moving it to the shifter console or the radio plate area at some point so my ever-fattening body doesn't have to lean way over there in full race dress and flop open the glove box lid to push on it to get ready for a fuel check. I chose "lazy" this time.

The remainder of the day was spent repairing my portable air tank, cutting off the emergency brake cable underneath the car, and cleaning up small parts to be installed later, mainly the fender flares. I had the thought of spray-can Plasti-dipping these things in order to keep them from crumbling any more on the edges than they already have.
Anybody had experience with this P-Dip stuff on an already rubbery material much like the Corvette bumpers were from the late '70s and 80's? It would have to remain really flexible after spraying it on because the wind is going to flex the fender flares a little bit all the time.

And finally, when I got home from the shop I see an email that the Division 3 office got my competition number for Stock processed. I was overjoyed to see that my humble request for my old bracket racing number was granted. Once again, and from now on, I am T/SA 3790.