View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 12:07 AM   #110
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

I'd read this but didn't really remember it.

Besides the Tons-a-Fun wagons & the '72 GTO, Gary Wood also raced '65 & '67 Goats, several '68 Birds, AND a '71 455HO Bird. He apparently did pretty good with the '71, winning a div race and the Summer Nats, in '75. I can't verify this info. But here's a quote from the "Wagon Masters" article. It also includes a pic of the 2nd gen Bird. But, I can't download it, so far.

"...Next was a long line of 1968 400 Firebirds that he ran in E/Stock and quickly sold. “I actually ran about a dozen different ’68 400 Firebirds in E/Stock,” Gary recalled. “I would build one and then someone would come and buy it out from me. I had a lot of fun building them.”

Wood moved on to a 1968 Firebird, which was updated with a Ram Air IV engine. He then raced a 1971 Firebird Formula with a 455 HO engine, later updating it to SD-455 specs. Running in D/SA, he won the Division 1 points race at Maple Grove in ’75 and also the NHRA Summernationals at Englishtown with the Bird. Gary would sometimes run two cars at national events and as many as six cars at local events. The driving duties were divided between him, his then-wife Charlene and employees of his service station in Gansevoort, New York near Albany..."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0212...tiac-history/#

Last edited by oldskool; 12-25-2019 at 12:09 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote