View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #71
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 941 Times in 260 Posts
Default Re: Pontiac 455 hp reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Well Mr. gumple, I will agree with you that the A990 cars were built for SS. So were the FFFord Thunderbolts just to name one. Someone working at a higher pay grade than me decided that these "old" SS cars should be legal in Stock now. IMHO, very few of the newer FS cars should be in Stock. BUT, my opinion doesn't count for much and neither does yours.
Welcome to the 21ST Century!

And OBTW, "the fact that this car was accepted in Stock by some inept NHRA employees" might not make it right but it does make it legal.
Pretty sure that the reason for the Ford Thunderbolt, and the A990 MoPars, as possibly some others, came to be legal in NHRA Stock Eliminator, was due to NHRA opening up new classes, (AA/S- AA/SA, and for a bit, AAAS-AAASA) to make room for the new no VIN purpose built drag cars, like the late model COPO,Drag Pack, and Cobra Jet cars. Previously, the Thunderbolt and A990 were classified at less than 8.00, which was the highest pound per C. I. rating in Stock. When NHRA implemented the new, higher weight breaks, that opened the door for the older cars that also came it at less than 8.0 pounds per cube.
Liked