View Single Post
Old 10-14-2023, 03:29 AM   #53
Cglrcng

Liked 143 Times in 76 Posts
Default Re: A 30 year journey, and a 2nd chance.

A good 1st outing on the Re-debut in my older age (I will call it a success at this point), A full Monday into Tuesday before the event worked on the car in Boulder City (Thank you again John & Jon Irving! I really appreciate it my brothers!) Changed the cam, dialed it in 3 degrees Adv., and it got me back the bottom end and my brakes and vacuum fully at idle and brake booster is holding vacuum between engine starts again max allowable lift by specs .445/.445 (actual measured cam lift on the newly installed cam w/ solid lifter @ zero lash measured at the retainer .432I/.430E Purple Shaft D.C. cam by Crane, 107 Degree Centerline, 252 degree Duration). Added the aftermarket +60 percent Mallory Injector, attempted to add back the Crane adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, (this took a couple of hours as just turning on the pump it leaked repeatedly even after replacing gaskets and "O-rings 3 times), finally discovered it is a common problem I never had before w/ the part, but on the fold over of the clamshell-where top and bottom are machine pressed together the seam separated and gas under pressure is spraying out, attempted to locate a new one, no go, listed but out of stock everywhere, so I reinstalled the 42 PSI stock regulator w/ the vac 90 to T.B. signal port.

Made at least 2 other changes that I refuse to divulge here Some things just have to be mine). And we packed up, loaded up and headed to Bakersfield arriving somewhere after dark...I slept in the stacker and woke up staring up at a Mopar Trans. Pan, a very new but welcomed experience. (It did not leak during the night onto my face and sleeping bag, I ckd., then made a pot of coffee).

Yes, I brought my Mr. Coffee maker, and a ton of stuff (in the car, and in John's P.U. Bed)...a brand new 18 month project and brought everything including 4 cams, gaskets, and more stuff than you can imagine. If I do not have it with me, no doubt... I will need it!

It is Wednesday Test & Tune Day (I gladly paid the $100.00 in advance, I need track time).

We credentialed and found a pit spot, unloaded the cars and half my support junk. Set up camp on a section end just 1 row past the finish line, but Scott McClay is in Comp/Alcohol Pit area up by the Lanes and my car will spend days in his pit (as I crew for him...alone he and I the Thursday/Friday Race -this was a real struggle just 2 on a Comp. Elim. Car, and with 2 more crew members showing up Saturday/Sunday and Nights back w/ the Irving's. Thursday and Friday nights at the hotel w/ Scott (I spent Wed & Saturday nights camping in my car, an empty hatchback has a lot of room and all my seats fold down...But, if it took sleeping in the dirt at this point to race again, I would do it! (I had other options, the car and I became 1). LMAO

Wed. test and tune was a little struggle getting everything dialed in (large swings on timing (needed to find out exactly what this cam wanted as it had only been in the car once @ Houston Raceway Park for just 1 pass, in 1995 after a gully washer of a rainout, and it was installed at that time at the direction of a Houston Car Dealer's Service Mgr. dialed in at 5 degrees retarded (not the right direction for this car combo), and I removed it when it ran 2/10ths slower than the stock cam the week before (but after the recent Vegas session I reviewed all old data and saw the 5 degree retarded note in my Jegs 1995 Log Book, and instantly realized it was the right cam for right now, but 3 degrees advanced instead (a +8 degree swing)...And it turns out my intuition and knowledge in 2023 was a lot better than the newby to EFI I was in 93'-1997!

After the 3 passes on Wednesday (the last 1 in the high 17's and on the rev limit feature in 1 & 2...(to find out where that was because it is a fixed point in the ECM, can only set flags on/off...and on it is. I knew it would for the first time run under index at 8:30 in the AM)...and knew I would be holding a bit back also as I have competition in EF/S, McConnel was seen arriving earlier. Class racing is Saturday (and I am a live and internet poker player, showing cards,...Not unless you are required to, to grab the pot. Not yet at least. ~</;-)~ (A gentleman always wears a hat!)

I did reverse at least 2 of the car changes applied on Monday before pass #3 on Wednesday, the plugs were too rich w/ the +60 Injector without the higher pressure of the adj. regulator, so I added back the stock injector and undid 1 other change, and the timing is 3 degrees below both static initial & total, of the perfect setting. Not changing it right now though!

(I did say hi to Mr. O'Connor first thing Thursday AM, as we are old friends and competitors from years long gone by (we used to race both cars in GF/SA and GF/S together),I let him know he will not be in a combo race Saturday, as we meet again, and he was thrilled.) Saw many long lost friends and acquaintances, and it was fun to see people I have not seen in decades, but have been able to follow for a long while.

I was having fun but crewing for Scott McClay the first 2 days will be a struggle just the 2 of us (1 potential crew member is down with covid), the other(s) cannot be here until Saturday if at all). Eventually 2 others showed up Saturday AM. Relief all around!

Up at 5:00 AM

8:28 AM Thurs. Oct 5th Q1 (Left Lane) Index 17.45 EF/S Ov/Un -161
(this was the actual first pass under the index since the rebuild...1/4 mile pass #13, 3-1/8 mile passes in Kingman, and 9 at Vegas, 4 now at Bakersfield...Who say's #13 is unlucky? R.T .050 Green (Ok, I know the spot, let's see on next pass). 60' 2.356, 330 7.013, 1/8 10.947 @ 62.58 1,000 14.362 1/4 17.289@76.89 (Short shifting 1/2)

Last edited by Cglrcng; 10-19-2023 at 04:59 AM. Reason: To correct a name spelling....
Cglrcng is offline   Reply With Quote