View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #25
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: ???Don Eckel & Mike Saye CRASH at Z-Max???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eckel 111 View Post

Bobby, your analogy of rush hour traffic is exactly why you should have the MOST concentration. There is alot more going on around you to require your attention. And in the case of my incident, neither car was going nearly that fast. I was going maybe 5 MPH and I'll guess at that point Mike was going 30-40 when he hit me. The real problem I have is that after speaking with the turnout worker, it became apparent to me that he knew there was a problem, yet he STILL made the wrong decision. There are alot more of these incidents and near misses than you can imagine, many unmentioned. I'm curious, did you receive or know of any formal training for the job at the turnouts? If not, then what qualifies you or anyone else to be out there with the potential of someones safety in your hands? Its easy to say that its just unfortunate when it's not you.
No we don't have any formal training. In years past we just use to vote we got to guide the cars in, now there is the same person working most of the tracks with that job. It's one that i wouldn't want to have anymore. Did it for one year and didn't want to be responsible for any accidents. Now I just push cars out of the way and roll up parachutes.

Yes, I believe that NHRA needs to do something about that, esp after seeing a coworker guide 2 t/f cars into each other.

My anology about the freeway is that if you are standing between 2 cars and they are coming straight at you, you cannot tell how fast they are going. And you cannot tell who is in front of the other.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote