View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #20
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: Dextron III / IV or Synthetic ATF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenr View Post
The Jaguar transmission fluid is a complete joke. I said $20.00 but I think it is much more than that from the dealer. The Jaguar transmission requires ten to 14 quarts.

The Allison 3000 requires about 28 quarts depending on the sump size. Allison says to change it every 75,000 miles.

The Allison 4000 requires about 40 some quarts depending on the sump size. Again every 75,000 miles.

If Dexron is used it is supposed to be changed every 25,000 miles. When I do that, it looks the same as the stuff I started with. Not dirty or anything.

Filters (two large ones) are very high quality and very expensive, never seem to get dirty.

The whole thing seems odd to me but rebuilding one of these things is VERY expensive, so I just bite the bullet. Just wish I knew more about transmission fluids.

Loren
I have been reading a lot about them.
Cannot get a straight answer if they are all made by one source.
Then marketed under different names.
Then the confusing specification information between them to make them look different.

What I do see is that Synthetic behaves differently. Able to take more heat and offer better protection.
Synthetic different grip and lubrication properties over standard Dexron III/IV.
So much so that Synthetic lasts 3 times as long.

Wonder who has done a study on Dexron after 25000 mile change.
What do the properties look like after use?

There is Amzoil vs Standard, Amsoil vs Royal Purple, vs Redline

This was a fun youtube video.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote