View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
LS14gezr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default F Body suspension questions

On a points day prepped track my car is very consistent (thousandths) for incremental and split times. It's when the track is less than good I have issues. Also it doesn't take much to provoke wheelspin downtrack on a suspect track. After having the same car as mine go by me on the bumper during time trials I thought it might be a good idea to seek guidance/info from S/SS racers. First my combo: 2001 camaro LS1, mid 12 second bracket car,t400,ati mrt 8" converter, 3200 stall(not optimized to my combo. Ati says it's as tight as they can make it.). Moser 9" w/4:10 w/locker. S&W sfc, adj tq arm, bmr anti roll bar, bmr rear lower control arm relocating brackets, tubular panhard bar and tubular lower control arms w/rod ends. LCA located in bottom hole(only 2 holes are available),8 pt. roll bar, Afco DA rear shocks w/V6 springs, QA1 SA front shocks(full soft) w/QA1 300# front springs. I have some preload on front springs. 53% frt / 47% rear weight distribution. M&H 26x12x15 slicks. 3650# w/driver. A modest effort, still street legal but I've had success (pts championship,runner up following year, 2012 NED 1 Bracket Finals Pro - 5 rounds w/bye).

My questions are chassis/suspension related. I am looking for a real, working suspension.

1. my pinion angle may be too negative. At 60 mph there is a vibration at light cruise/decel. Goes away on accel. What affect would a too negative pinion angle have related to drag racing?

2. While bringing up launch rpm, the car rises about 3" in rear. It's quite noticeable. I believe this relates to the rear lower control arm bottom mounting position but w/low hp I thought a high
instant center would be best. But aren't I transferring weight to the front? I' m getting good chassis separation though.

3. Front suspension: stock except for above. Using the search here I see bushings and such need upgrade. Recommendations?

4. 1.80 60'. Pretty slow. Car has never 60 footed.

5. Does the fact that I have a low hp car affect the workings of the suspension? I sometimes think that on launch the car pitches back but doesn't have enough power to keep from pitching back forward again. Afco rear DA are set: full soft extension ( have been 8 clicks up
from full soft) 16 clicks from full stiff compression.

6. My converter was setup for a bbc 468/550 hp and a lot more torque than I have.I felt that a converter that didn't hit the tire hard would provide a softer launch and make for more consistent times. Opinions?

7. The camshaft provides a very flat torque curve. 30,40 ft/lbs tops from 2500 to 6000 rpm. 371 rwtq / 354 rwhp.

I want to compete at different tracks and for instance at the bracket finals last year the track conditions deteriorated over the event. I was .1 off my 60' at the end but dialable. With a low hp combo I feel I should never have a traction issue.

I have many different chassis/suspension books for drag racing. If you need to
reference something I may have it.

I've gone on long enough. Just wanted you to have as much info as possible. Thank you in advance for any insight, recommendations, info you can provide.

E103 Ed Knodler

Last edited by LS14gezr; 05-11-2013 at 08:42 PM.
LS14gezr is offline   Reply With Quote