View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Mike Keener

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: 2015 AA/S and AA/SA Could Be Very Exciting

Jim,...That would be a great plan if NHRA keeps the indexes to a reasonable number!

Larry ....Haven't seen Matt since Top Stock. His FE Ford ran great but when the crate motors took over the class he eventually decided to race a 502 cu in 69 Camaro that belonged to Steve Sawka. The Mustang was sold and I think Velde may have wound up with it but I'm not sure. His dad Jim was awesome as well! Last I heard Matt is a local politician in MD.

Alan...You are absolutely correct! After spending about two hours in the Drag Race Central archives searching results from the US Nationals I found that AA/S and AA/SA did indeed have the same indexes and both were 10.90. No wonder few, if any, could qualify at Indy in those days.

In my post above I stated I thought 10.75 would be fair for both classes in today's world but 10.80 is a logical place to start. Hey.. if the AA cars dominate the Q sheets NHRA can fix that with either the AHFS or a small reduction in the index. I still believe maximum excitement can only be created if all of the AA cars are all in the same class regardless of transmission. Another reason to blend them is to get some of the "tanks" out of A/S and A/SA. Nobody wants to race a super heavy Hemi, Max Wedge, or any form of a 427 Camaro in A/S or A/SA if given a choice-but they need a fair index to make their qualifying chances equal to an A car. IMHO you will see lot's of cars ripping the weight out if NHRA comes forth with a fair index. Some of them that have perhaps been sidelined for years?
Mike Keener is offline   Reply With Quote