View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 07:00 PM   #3
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: How much HP/TQ to tow a stacker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRyan View Post
Trying to find someone with experience towing a stacker with 2 cars and a motorhome. How much HP / Tq did you have to tow comfortably? My trailer is a 24ft aluminum stacker. It weighs 8700 empty. 2 cars and a Zuma in it plus misc tools and stuff. Probably looking at 15-16k I’d say. I believe the 350 Cummins have 1050tq and the 400 have 1200. Has anyone towed a similar trailer with a 350? If so how did it do? The 350 engines are much more abundant than the 400 in my price range. Would hate to buy a 350 if a 400 would be a lot better
Thanks
Billy
Billy I can't speak to the 350, but I've done just about 80,000 with the 8.9 2006 winnebego towing the 30 foot goldrush stacker. My 8.9 is a side radiator, and that makes a huge difference as compared to the rear radiator coaches. My trailer is about as heavy as yours, likely a touch lighter with two cars, etc, its a comfortable towing experience, but don't expect to keep up with buddies towing with a duallie and a standard height 24-30 foot trailer.......If you need that level of speed, you need the Toter. Other factors are height of your trailer, mines not that high compared to say a optima, your shorter trailer may actually have a higher tonque weight! I did tow the goldrush up to epping recently with my bone stock 2000 F350 crew cab duallie of course(upgraded the hitch to class 5), towed fine. If you can see if you can do some test tows of prospective RV's or the types you are considering with your trailer. Just make sure their hitches have been upgraded! And check your tonque weight to make sure your hitch can handle it. Eric

I tow 60-65, 62 is a sweet spot, best milleage ever was 6.2, normal 5.8 worst ever 4.9 due to 30MPH headwind!

Last edited by Eric Merryfield; 01-16-2023 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling, etc
Eric Merryfield is offline   Reply With Quote