View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #5
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Ford V10 mileage/power upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
Rory--- something very important to look at here--- That larger tire is about 4-5% larger in circumference ---if you change to that larger diameter you will be reducing your effective gear ratio from 3:73 down to about a 3:55---YES Your vehicle will probably ride smoother ---might not wander and sway as much-- you "might" get better fuel milage due to reduced engine rpm at cruising speeds--you might get increased tire life by not being overloaded----BUT if this thing was a "slug" performance wise before with a 3:73 just think how much worse it's going to be with a 3:55 !!! you need a taller rear in there to counteract the change in tire dimensions--My observation FED 387
FED, the truck already had the taller 235s on it when I bought it, but when new, it came with the shorter 215s. (The spare is still a 215.)
My thought was when I buy new tires next year, maybe I should consider going back to the shorter OE size tires.The shorter tires would also make it a bit easier for getting in & out of the truck, my wife would appreciate that!