View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Tech Teardowns in Stock Eliminator

We got torn down one year at Pomona with one of the Chevelles. It wasn't too scary.The first thing that wanted to see was the carb. I pulled it and sent it and the card with the driver to the carb tech guy,meanwhile,I pulled the intake, and the tech guy at large asked me to pull the left head. Carb came up good, so I sent the driver with the intake to that tech guy. I got the head off, removed the rocker arms, and took the head to the head guy. First, use carb spray, brake cleaner,do whatever, get the head SPOTLESS. The head went onto a fixture, we used a test spark plug, and we CC'd one combustion chamber at random. It came up good, he then gave me a valve spring compressor and told me to remove one intake and one exhaust valve at random from two different cylinders. The valve went into a fixture to determine the valve seat angle was in spec, both valves were OK,then the head got a visual by a couple of tech inspectors.It came up OK, so the head went back together. He met me back at the car, then asked me to pull two lifters.He measured the overall installed height of the lifter,came up with a real nice brass test lifter that was adjustable,we reassembled the valve train, and he checked max lift on those two lobes with a real nice dial indicator test stand that bolted to the head, they both passed by a few, then he checked the bore with a dial bore gauge,then used a magnetic deck bridge and a long dial indicator to verify the engine's stroke. Be sure you have a long breaker bar for ease of rotating the crank. The longer the bar, the more accurately you can do this.I also had to clean the top of a piston so the manufacturers' part number or brand name was visible in order to verify legality of the engine's piston. We came up good, I set the head up with a new gasket and bolted up the header, then they towed the car back to our pit space with an official NHRA golf cart where I torqued the head,installed the intake, adjusted the valves, dropped in the distributor and the carb, and lit it off and timed it. Total time for all this was about five hours, but we were the first team apart and out of there. Glad to be done with it.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote