View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,044 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: Back to back comparison of Th350 and Metric 200???

That assumes you want or need the 2.75 low, which is not always the case. And if you don't want the 2.75, you have to go with a custom gear set for the 200.

If the 200 is not substantially faster, then the only advantage would be cost, and with the added durability of the 350, it becomes a wash. We've got the same stuff on the 350 that has been in it since 2007, for a lot of passes.

The 200 is not that much cheaper if you need or want the bigger input shaft and stator shaft, so you can use the turbo converter and/or need the strength.

The 200 is not a tenth faster than a really good 350 in many cars, I talked to Scott McClay about it, and I'd say he knows as much or more about it than anyone. The more power the engine has, the smaller the ET reduction, and the heavier the car, the shorter the lifespan. For example, Scott told me that in our big block Camaro, he'd expect no more than 0.03 quicker with his best 200 vs my 350, at best. Thomas Arnett and I have talked about it for a while now, he's not sure he could get more than 0.03, either, he runs a 200 in his car, similar to ours. We've been meaning to try it.