View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #116
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Short version:
1) The factory race cars are indefensibly underfactored. Start their factor anywhere CLOSE to the right zip code and there would not have been anywhere near as many complaints about them.

2) Having some classes ineligible to be affected by the AHFS while everyone else is, is completely indefensible.

In my opinion, they should have brought the cars in with realistic HP factors, and if they did not fit into Stock Eliminator classifications, then they should've gone straight to Super Stock, just like the old Hemi factory race cars. I'm not sure why showing how well someone can detune a car to keep from displaying its full potential is supposed to be good advertising for the "sell on Monday" crowd. The Hellcat rocked the automotive industry by claiming 707HP and 10-sec ET slips from a soon-to-be showroom available monster. Who would've given it a second glance if they came out and said, "This supercharged engine makes almost 426HP!"

Something I haven't seen mentioned is having 8-second cars competing against cars running 100 mph or less, typically without so much as a roll bar. I'll be honest, I'm kinda glad I haven't been running the Turismo. If a trans line or radiator hose comes loose and one of those 150 mph cars goes THROUGH me, I'm a dead man. Those cars should've been classified in Super Stock, in my opinion. Otherwise, realistically, they should start requiring a minimum of a roll bar in all classes.

In the interest of full disclosure, I run a 5.9L DragPak engine in my Volare (GT/HA). I built it specifically *because* it is ridiculously underfactored.

Quote:
The problem is you guys don’t like the new style of SS/STK racers with large amounts disposable income.
No, and that's already been articulated to the contrary by everyone. The vast majority of people in S/SS racing have more money and spend more money than I do. I'm more than happy to park next to toterhomes & stackers with my pickup and open trailer. The amount of money someone spent on a combination is completely irrelevant to how realistic the HP factor is. Compared to my old 360 Magnum crate motor, my fuel-injected 360 with more cam, more compression, aluminum cylinder heads and 1000cfm throttle body is rated 50HP less. It is as you would say, "not even close".

Last edited by Michael Beard; 09-02-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote