Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #119
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Short version:
1) The factory race cars are indefensibly underfactored. Start their factor anywhere CLOSE to the right zip code and there would not have been anywhere near as many complaints about them.

2) Having some classes ineligible to be affected by the AHFS while everyone else is, is completely indefensible.

In my opinion, they should have brought the cars in with realistic HP factors, and if they did not fit into Stock Eliminator classifications, then they should've gone straight to Super Stock, just like the old Hemi factory race cars. I'm not sure why showing how well someone can detune a car to keep from displaying its full potential is supposed to be good advertising for the "sell on Monday" crowd. The Hellcat rocked the automotive industry by claiming 707HP and 10-sec ET slips from a soon-to-be showroom available monster. Who would've given it a second glance if they came out and said, "This supercharged engine makes almost 426HP!"

Something I haven't seen mentioned is having 8-second cars competing against cars running 100 mph or less, typically without so much as a roll bar. I'll be honest, I'm kinda glad I haven't been running the Turismo. If a trans line or radiator hose comes loose and one of those 150 mph cars goes THROUGH me, I'm a dead man. Those cars should've been classified in Super Stock, in my opinion. Otherwise, realistically, they should start requiring a minimum of a roll bar in all classes.

In the interest of full disclosure, I run a 5.9L DragPak engine in my Volare (GT/HA). I built it specifically *because* it is ridiculously underfactored.

^^ I agree.
I've often wondered what would happen if I got paired up with one of those 8 sec. "VIN-less" cars and I trap at 106 mph and he comes buzzing past me at 150 plus mph.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote