Thread: Time vs RPM?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Don Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Time vs RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightliner View Post
When you say *numbers* in the timer is that thousandths? I'm still on Crew Chief default ratios/factors. Because my car is heavy and only a 10.40 car I have been advised by most t-stop guys to go on and come off in low gear. Don is my logic correct in regards to the time shift that matches when it gets to 6500? If I should call you instead what is a good time for you?

Thanks
Brad in Canada!

OK, well that changes things a bit. Lets go over the basics of a throttle stop movement. It takes close to .40 seconds to open and close a throttle stop on average. That means you basically have .40 seconds of your stop timer that is wasted ( .20 to close, .20 to open ). So anything under .80 of a second in stop isn't doing much to your ET, at least not consistently. Not thousandths, hundredths.

You may need to shift on RPM in order to get some timer. You may also need to be on the first timer far longer than someone who runs quicker.

I believe the best way to find out is to test. 5 - 8 runs trying to make sure you can get to the 10.90 index with at least ONE SECOND of timer. If you can't do that with your current setup then bring #1 timer longer by .20 at a time until you can.

No magic unfortunately, every car is different.

Call us after you make a few passes that get to your goal.
Don Higgins - Super Comp #360H
Don Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote