View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Another new combo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlanes4ever View Post
Hi, new to forum and was curious. I have a '63 Ford Fairlane that I was considering running in stock eliminator. Was available with a 260 or 289 Hipo . Both with 4 speed. 260 would put it in T/S and 289 in H/S. Was kinda interested in the 260 combo just because it seems so off the wall. Is this a viable combo? If I run the 289 combo will I need '63 specific block and heads because those are impossible to find. Been a bracket racer for many years and ready to do something different.
I've been told by tech that they aren't as picky about blocks as heads. The heads have to match the year of the car. Aftermarket blocks are OK in Stock as long as they are on the NHRA Approved list. That consists of the Ford Racing BOSS 302 block and nothing else for small block Ford.

I wanted to start in Stock and build up to SS, but finding parts was such a hassle that I went for GT just to be able to use good stuff and stay in the rules.

That stocker I wanted to start with was a 66 Fairlane. Great car, but real hard to find one clean enough to run in Stock without years of work. They are either rust buckets or street rods.

Dale