Thread: '66 Malibu N/SA
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #166
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

I tried adding the spacers for the shifter mount and once I trimmed them to a more even height I'm satisfied that this will work. No trace of movement that I can detect when I bang it through the gears.

Then I got to work putting the cable in. They say it should be straight for the first several inches, and I think I achieved that okay.

I would have welded up this hole but I'm not entirely sure this won't have a stick shift someday, so I just used screws and RTV to seal it up.

The TH-350 hardware worked fine at the other end too.

My next step was rigging a switch to disable the 2 step in high gear. For a while I was working on ideas for mounting a micro-switch above the shifter so the gear indicator arrow would hit it. That was the plan until I woke up at 1 AM the other night and thought maybe I could add a little bit of sheet metal to the slot for the back-up light switch (the upper switch). I cut out a piece and tacked it in, and it works fine. The switch is active now in reverse, first and second gears. Ideally it would be active in first gear only, but I should never be hitting the brakes hard at high RPM in the others anyway.

The next step is prepping Johnny Red to go in and get started!

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote