Thread: '66 Malibu N/SA
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #167
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Ah, one step forward, two steps back...

I decided for a couple of reasons to set up the breather and PCV on the red engine the same as on the black one. So I removed that baffle in the lifter valley, removed the oil filler tube from the front of the manifold, and since the red 283 valve covers weren't set up for breathers I removed them and the valve cover spacers. Then I went to remove the long valve cover studs that I won't need any more. When I got to the intake side between #1 and #3 I was starting the first nut when I saw a flash of silver and heard a couple of "clinks". I had dropped the second nut. Damn I'm a klutz. I thought I'd see it in the lifter valley but no, and I didn't see it anywhere on the floor. Then I realized that the number 3 intake was open. I turned the motor over on the stand and sure enough I could hear "Clink, clink" from number 3 cylinder.

So here's what I see when I pulled the head:

And there's a double dose of klutziness here, I went to the Washingtin, DC area recently for a family wedding and took a couple of days extra for some sightseeing. On the second day I tripped on the last step going down a staircase in the library of congress. My left foot was a bit stiff afterward, but I walked away and it seemed fine. Then it got worse...

The bottom line is that after a couple of times when it seemed it was almost all better, only to get worse again I finally broke down and went to a doctor. It's broken. So this will slow things down for a bit:

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote