View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: Rochester 2GC info

Mark & Norm -

When I was building the database for the ClassRacerInfo application, I had to physically enter about 90% of the engine data. That's why I have repeatedly asked for input for any discrepancies that are found since I know tat I make lots of mistakes. But that also means that I read every tech sheet in the book and know that NHRA office personnel have made mistakes, too. As you two have pointed out in your examples, there are "questionable" items in the specs (and the class guide, too!). I compiled an Excel spreadsheet for some of the tech specs and it is not a short list. Mostly the items are for engines that have never been raced so it's not like anybody is getting screwed on the deal. Engines that have been pounded on over the years have forced corrections (remember the 4-bbl 260 Olds?) and many times racers have worked with the tech department to get corrections done.

I wish there were an easy way to submit corrections and then some public feedback about to explain what makes acceptable documentation and what doesn't work. I know the tradition of "writing a letter to the tech department" works, but most racers don't even know it is available and that those processes are active now. The stumbling block for NHRA to manage the technical data is the cost of the time to do the tasks necessary and management decisions.

Norm, information from aftermarket sources is rarely accepted as evidence for spec accuracy. While it may be correct and the assumption is that it is pointing to factory specs, documentation from the OEM is the best source . . . most of the time.

Mark, if we have never had that conversation about the 327-235hp carburetor, I am in total agreement that the bigger carb was on that engine. I have parts books from that era that clearly shows the same intake manifold used as on the 350 250, and Rochester specs indicate that the components of the carbs listed are for the big series 2GC.

Finally, my goal for ClassRacerInfo is to be the most complete and accurate source of data for Stock & SS racers as well as representing the NHRA data. And having the data in a database where you can query for data is so cool and powerful.

I'm finished rambling.