View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #20
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 940 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Rear Gear Lube - Synthetic Or Conventional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Shockproof doesn't make any sense to me. thick as mud and it's claim to fame is it clings, so does axle grease! Might be great in a roundy round car where the rear gets very hot. I want thin oil that flows all of the time.
I have to assume that you have not used the light or heavy Shockproof gear oils offered by Redline. It is not at all thick, I`d guess it flows like a 30W engine oil, and it definatly does cling. A couple of years ago, I pulled the cover of my Mustangs 8.8" rearend after sitting all winter, and the top of the casting was still wet with oil. Both my cars are 4 speeds, and I use the Redline light shock in the Jericos, and the heavy shock oil in the diffs. My 10.0-9.9 ET bracket car has a Dana 60, and and has been a stick car for 15 years now, the gears always look like new. I think some gear ratios are more likely to break than others, especially when you get into lower ratios. I`ve been racing my Mustang for 13 years now, the same set of 4.88s still look fine, but I have broke 2 sets of 5.14s, which have 1 less tooth on the pinion than the 4,88s do, From what I have seen with 8 3/4 MoPars is that with the steeper ratios, the teeth on the ring gear get quite shallow, which can`t be good for strength.