View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #30
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Re: X /Stock ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
Mark, I appreciate the info. Do you know any engine shops familiar with the 4 cyl.? The tech. specs. show it with a throttle body, what needs to be done with the electronics? Thanks again.
If I was going to do one of these, and I didn't want to start with a complete truck, I'd look for a complete engine at the monthly U pull it engine sale. I'd take it apart and see what I had. There's no piston approved so I'd look for some OEM .020 over ones on Ebay. There's no rod and piston weight spec, so that's a big plus, if you get my drift.
I'm pretty sure it's a thinner mm ring set. I'd call Kevin at Total Seal and see if we could match something up for a low drag set.
Nobody is going to have a torque plate, so I'd fill the block way up there, and bolt the head back on and let it sit there. Then I'd have someone who knows how to hone a block, give me about .003 piston to wall.. Balance it, deck it, and your short block is done.
Have somebody that does currently legal NHRA heads, give it a work over..Nothing too fancy. I'd call Chris Padgitt @ Bullit for a cam.
Notice I'm telling you how I would do it, personally. To me ,that's part of the fun of building these lower class dime rockets.
As far as recommending someone to take on the whole engine build, I have no idea.
Maybe someone here will speak up..
I think you have to send the whole computer out to someone like Ed Wright, who will remove all the limiters and give it some more fuel and timing. You're going to have to keep the duration down and the vacuum up, if you want to keep within the constraints of an OEM computer.
From here, you know where I am,