View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: Piston Ring Spacers

First off thanks for the advise. I'll save my money for something else. Right now I have the Napier seconds in it. and a 8lb oil ring. Honestly cannot remember what the top ring is without going to the shop and looking in my notes. It does not seem to be having a oil problem. And my leak down numbers are good after just 40 runs. Main reason I'm tearing it apart is because I just kind of did a cheap engine to see if I liked the class racing thing. I like it so far with just one National open, one combo race and a bunch of trips to T&T to sort the car out a little and try some stuff. So I am taking it a little further along this winter. If all goes well I will go some more either during the season or next winter. Who would you recomend I call about the top rings with the gas ports in them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
I don't suggest those without a lot of experience, control of their bore finish, and access to a dyno try to use an oil ring with less than 10# of tangential tension, and 12# might be better.

The vast majority of "do it yourself" guys are best served with a 10-12# oil ring and the 1.0MM or so compression rings with spacers, and the "gas ports" on the top ring spacer. Get the Napier cut on the 2nd ring, too.

Given a relatively "common" bore size, you shouldn't need to spend more than $650 or so, maybe a little more.

When you get into the ultra narrow compression rings and ultra light oil rings, one very minor mistake can be catastrophic. Yes, they can be made to fly, if everything is right, but if everything isn't just right, they can be very difficult to deal with.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote