View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #4
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: older Holley intake manifold ?

"can anybody give me some insight/history on the different strip dominator intakes for a sbc? Anybody use any one of these intakes? what works for what sbc application?

I have an older one 300-2 somebody told me its for a 4 speed engine.

There is a 300-25 thats has taller runners for automatics?

and the 300-100 looks like a 1" spacer has been cast integral to the intake.

Any info is greatly appreciated."

I found this on a Speed Talk Forum. I saw a lot of Strip Dominator manifolds on the IHRA production Super Stockers. The engines were kinda like a econo modified engine. I noticed when I started going to NHRA races you saw Edelbrock on the Super Stock cars. I never knew if this was due to who was paying contengency where or if it was due to the different needs of the two styles of engines. My brother ran a strip dominator (can't remember which one) on an IHRA SS/ production 283 engine a couple of decades ago. It had been re-worked and had the runners in the plenum extended. The car was a 3800+ pound wagon with a 6:83 dana and a 2:75 low gear turbo, Huge 2 bbl. Holley, 292 turbo heads with titanium valves, aluminum rods, and some very high compression. The engine was back before dynos were common so we don't if the intake made good low RPM torque or not but the engine saw very little low to midrange RPM and would rev like a chainsaw. I don't know if the Strip Dominator would be the hot tip for a NHRA style 283 with the small carb, small heads and flat top pistons. I know there was some discussion of filling in some of the plenum with epoxy to cut down on plenum volume with the small engine but he sold the IHRA car and went NHRA racing before trying it. Hope this rambling helps, Don Jackson
Edit, after looking at Strip Dominator photos on the internet the wagon had the 300-25, the 300-2 looks to have curved runners and be shorter.

Last edited by Bench Racer; 10-29-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote