View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
SuperStock172

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Flat tappet lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Both the Trend and PPPC lifters operate well with high spring pressures and the DLC coating is a plus to prevent wear. DLC coatings have improved and most of the high end solid and roller lifters are DLC coated including, Jesel and Morel.

My Boss at my place of employment, was the engine shop manager for 30 years in several NASCAR teams. He used and we continue using both the Trend and PPPC, DLC coated lifters with no issues.

As regards to the engine oil and DLC coating compatibility, a few have experienced issues with the Driven oil. My recommendation would a synthetic oil such as Mobil 1, Lucas or Amsoil.

There are many SAE Engineering papers that have tested the compatibility and it appears that the recommendation for best wear is to use 5W-30 weight synthetic oil with DLC coated parts.

Thank you for the response, starting to get a lot more confident with this type of setup. Given your Boss' past experiences within NASCAR would you be able to comment on a camshaft specific question? My question relates to cup style camshafts being apparently designed to loft the lifter and hence giving the valve additional "dynamic" lift whilst running. Is this something that you or he has encountered and if so how would a DLC coated lifter hold up in this scenario? As Alan mentioned above you don't want a DLC lifter bouncing around so to speak because it will have the same result as a Schubeck, thus it seems strange to want to design a camshaft to loft the lifter with this potential catastrophic result. Any input would be highly appreciated.
SuperStock172 is offline   Reply With Quote