View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Onan Marquis Gold 7000

Code 36 is a common one. Points to a loss of fuel and means the ECU did not shot it down.

The 2 items most likely to cause these shutdowns are the fuel pump and the ECU/Controller.

The fuel pump and solenoid at the base of the carbs fuel bowl are both energized on the same circuit.

If the engine shuts down abruptly when one occurs.....it IS the ECU. The voltage for the pump and carb solenoid is dropping out from the heat.
May or may not restart immediately or after sometime....Typical scenario.

If the engine starts running unstable and lopes up and down for a short time, it is the fuel pump. Carb still has fuel in the bowl and once pump quits, it takes a while to up the fuel remaining in the bowl.

The pumps are piston type and tend to fail and often do.

I change them both and just did for an RV customer a few weeks ago with this intermittant shutdown issue. His wife needed the AC and he had no interest in maybe this or maybe that......change both and lets get it done now.

There is no fix for this other than what I describe.

Cummins has 2 different heat deflectors now for a machine that will help direct the hot air away from the inlet side...but my experience with these machines says they are not going to fix units with intermittent shutdowns due to a bad ECU......

I have changed many ECU's on gas engine units and diesels.....all for the same issue...loss of power on the circuit that supplies the fuel pump....

It needs to be relayed in my opinion......