View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Question Re: Anyone have a shift finger for Jerico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
I've taken all the shift fingers I currently have, as well as the brand new one I just received from Jerico, and my machinist and I did two dye penetrant tests on them and they ALL have cracks, even the brand new one. Evidence of cracks at the bottom base and 1mm up in the flat (where mine keep breaking). These pieces are not being made right from the factory. My machinist believes the heat treat process is not being performed correctly. I am going to have some made out of 4340 steel rather than 8620 and they will hopefully never break again.
Bobby, when my father bought his Jerico 3speed (for a 265 chevy) several years ago. He broke the 3-4 arm off the trans with about 15 runs on it. We thought it was a freak think, this happened at a points race. He bought 2 more arms so he had a spare. Broke it again with about another 10 runs, at a points race again. So we replaced it and went on. I looked at both broken arms and you could see the imperfection in the castings at the point of failure. We spoke with Jerico and at the time he was unaware of it but he wanted to see them. So we sent them back to him. That was that. We thought we were the only ones to have this problem? Guess not. Sorry it is happening to you. Hang in there.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote