View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 10:31 PM   #581
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Wow ! That post is FULL of info ! Thanks !

I remember reading that Kyle Riley had a towing accident & did a re-body. But, I'd thought he raced it, for a while, with blue paint & "Who's Next" on the door.

In my mind, I thought the blue car was the one in the wreck. So, I thought the car with the checkered flag treatment was the re-body. So, the re-body had at least 3 different owners. Don't know if it now belongs to Wayne Larsen, or if it still belongs to Jack. Anyhow, Wayne has been driving it this year.

But, apparently, I've never even seen a pic of the '77 body that Dean had. And, who raced the car before Dean had it ?

While on the subject of '77 Lemans, what's the history of the one that Al Vanis raced ? Al won a 2003 nat event with it, nearly 30 years after he won the US Nats, in '74, in a '74 Ventura. Is this another '77 Lemans that has been passed along to several different owners ? It appears to have had Rodnite on the doors, at that '03 race. I actually found a Q-list where Al was driving the Lemans & John Rodnite was driving a Mopar. At some later races, John is shown as the driver. So, from that, I'll assume that Rodnite owned the car & Al drove it, sometimes. If this is not correct, somebody please post the correct info about this car & drivers.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r2003#indextop

https://autoimagery.photoshelter.com...Zwm7A--&GI_ID=

And, to show how very little I really know about class racing, I had no idea that V/SA is for 4 & 6 cylinder only cars. I assumed that any small, low power V8, in a heavy enuff body could run the lowest classes.

Also had no idea that '78 car is the '79 Himes/Nees 301 Lemans.

Turns out that there have been a lot fewer Pontiac Stockers than I had originally thought. It's just that many of the same cars kept showing up with different drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Who's Next Blue .jpg
Views:	210
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	55355   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - K. Riley Who's Next White .jpg
Views:	195
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	55356   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Jack Larsen '77   - Edited.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	55357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - Al Vanis .jpg
Views:	211
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	55358  

Last edited by oldskool; 08-21-2020 at 10:59 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote