View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
trmnatr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: .031" Dykes or .043" Rings ?

Adger I think your 100% correct and didnt look at it at that time that different levels of competition between here and there

As to the .043" we saw wear and to me it didnt seal as well because there was carbon between the two rings, however with the .031" Pressure Back ring we get ZERO carbon below the top ring and superior performance

I still stick with your typical 1/16" ring pack for street or bracket engines (1/16" top, 1/16" second and 3/16" oil or 1/8") and the .031" pack for drag race use (.031" Pressure Back Moly Top, 1/16" second and 3/16" SS50U 5-10 pound oil ring or 16 pound)

However I did an .043" combo to replace the pistons in the engine that shown wear from std .043" x .155" with gas ports, The Gold Finish top ring eliminates the wear at least for me,,, I would suggest the .043" PVD 92 coated ring to anyone now (Gold Finish)

Is it better than the .031" Pressure Back??????? I dont think so for drag race turning 8000rpm+ and leaving at 5500rpm+ ,,,, for a street/strip radical deal yes I would use the .043" x .155" with the PVD 92 coating

So for street or long term bracket racing with minimal tear downs I go 1/16" pack

Drag race with aluminum rods that needs to be serviced more frequent, .031" Pressure Back ring pack

Street or drag race with long term usage such as a drag engine with steel rods .043" x .155" Gold Finish Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Butch,
Your polls are un scientific and yes, I think they show skewed results. On this Thread you noted the difference in the outcome of two sites. (thanks, I requested that) You have got to realize "WHO" is the audience you are polling and what they are involved in building. I'm pretty sure there aren't any F-1 cars running a .043 ring with Gas ports, but there is a Pro Stock or Comp field that is probably near 100 % .043 or something thin and gas ported..Yes, an .043 ring with a gas port, or any ring with a gas port will show wear. They are designed to seal, not last. There is a Maint cycle in anything you use. I see you are int different coatings and designs to extend wear and maint cycles.. Good. The guys on Speed Talk and the other forums you visit and poll are into different applications than the guys here on Class Racer.
You can't make blanket statements or poll about what works best for everthing because of: Application-application-application.

P.S I'll try to run those 2 simulations you want on Pipe Max and another program this week as time permits.
AS
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote