View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #30
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Factory experimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
Rory said, "I think that any forced induction Stocker should be limited to the factory boost pressure"...

Jeff Lee said, "I believe all pressurized engines should be held to OEM specifications. "
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Where were you guys about 6 months ago, when I was beating the drum for tell-tale boost gauges on all forced induction cars because of their inordinate showing as #1 qualifiers at National events??? In the last four years, (had stats for 2004-2007 at the time) about two percent of the cars (turbo cars) had nailed down something like fifteen-percent of the #1 qualifying slots... a statistical anomaly that screams for attention.

Now that the issue is a different one, but the cause of the problem is the same, you come out with this.

Since horsepower at the flywheel is almost certainly boost-dependent, OF COURSE it needs to be monitored to factory specs, one way or another. Tell-tale boost gauges is one effective way to do it.

I still think these "new" factory race cars belong in S/S.... especially, the ones with less than 7.5 lbs/hp.

My 2-cents...
I've made mention of this issue many times over the years. It usually falls on deaf ears or the FWD brigade jumps in and then it turns into debate over what the OEM standard is (or isn't) and how boost somehow equals nothing more than blueprinting a non-pressurized engine.
The SCCA stopped the tide of MOPAR FWD cars dominating the races decades ago. They gave turbo racers pre-set, sealed & locked waste gates that were installed prior to the race ahead of the carb or injection system. I'm not sure if the waste gate was set to an OEM or SCCA standard but it took care of the issue.