View Single Post
Old 02-08-2024, 09:44 PM   #4
Kenney Kelley

Liked 71 Times in 35 Posts
Default Re: Towing/Hitch questions

[QUOTE=e vassar;693133]I have a 24ft enclosed trailer. I carry a 3100lb car,a scooter and a few tools.
I was towing with a Nissan Titan crew cab 1500 5.6 gas engine. It did pretty well but after installing air lift bags and a very heavy hitch with a torsion bar style anti sway system the truck would still take a dive when other vehicles would be about even with the rear of the trailer on the highway. I recently sent the Titan on its way,and bought a 2014 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. It is not a 4X4 but has the Z71 package so it sits up pretty high. I know I will need a drop hitch, and I don't mind using the one I have, but will I need to worry with these damn torsion bars to control sway?[/QUOTE

Mr Vassar What i would do first is put my race trailer on level ground and level the trailer and measure from the ground to the top of the trailer hitch where the ball goes. then i would do the same thing to the truck measure your existing hitch to see how much you are going to have to lower the ball on the truck hitch if it's within an inch or two I would say it's ok. and yes i would definitely use the Sway Bars they serve two purposes they keep your truck level and trailer level plus they keep your truck and trailer straight when you have cross winds and also when a semi comes by you. I use a Reese Hitch

Kenney Kelley

Last edited by Kenney Kelley; 02-08-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Kenney Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked