View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Merge collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis1 View Post
If you measure the port on the LT1 head, last time I checked, 1 5/8 tube covered the port. The reason you see no change is the header isnt even working at this point....13/4 and 1 7/8 are way too big... proven many times over... you guys are not talking to Calvin Elston obviously....

my proven $.02... race track and dyno
Two header gurus told me steps are what I need, one even talking three steps, (with a 1 5/8" first step) but THE master header builder, (IMHO), Jere Stahl, (knew Jere from Jr Stocker days. Happily he remembered me) told me what it should like after I sent him all the data he asked for, and it agreed what I had found on Patterson's dyno, and (since we don't race Dynos) A-B-A testing during a track rental test session.
More to header fabrication & layout than I realized. My 1 7/8" Stahl headers (one of the very last set they built) are a full MPH faster than my old 1 7/8" Hedman Hustlers, which were on the dyno. And, I can get all my spark plugs out. Haven't been back on the dyno with the Stahl headers.
I just went back and looked, I typed the correct numbers in: 1 3/4" to 1 7/8". I cut a pattern, like cutting a gasket, and sent it to Jere, he had his guys water jet (I think) cut a set of flanges for the 1 3/4" tubes, for my Stahl bolt pattern on my aluminum adaptor plates. So they were centered correctly.
Elston is one I have not talked to.
Btw, Sir, who are you?

Last edited by Ed Wright; 10-04-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote