View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts
Default Re: Welding Thrust on Cast Crank?

Yes, cranks can be welded on. As noted here, it is an involved process and thus expensive. Billet or cast it can be done, but metallurgy understanding and process QC are critical. It would leave you with a set thrust washer height too which may be good or bad in your application. Thrust washers can be bought in all dimensions, ID, OD and thickness. Whether listed specifically for Dodge, Ford, or GM or from a bearing company for industrial use. Material, heat treat and thus load handling are the issues to watch for. Oversize height thrust washers can be sanded down to proper thickness or taken to a machine shop with a surface grinder. All that being said, the welding on of a thrust washer may be treating the symptom and not the causing issue.

Can't say without being there nor do I claim to be an expert on race engine & trans systems. I do work as a gear design engineer and have held quality jobs and running a prototype machine shop in the past. NOT claiming to be an expert on that either, just giving my background to put my response in context.I would be curious to see what you end up doing and if it solves the issue(s) you are having.